Welcome Incoming Graduate Students!
We are all so excited to have you join the Department of Psychology at UNC-Chapel Hill! We have created this page as a place where all incoming Fall 2013 Psychology doctoral students can access helpful and important information in preparation for their first semester in the Department. Please check this page frequently for any updates.
While this page does provide some reminders, announcements, and other information to keep in mind over the next couple of months, be sure to also regularly check the webpages of the UNC Graduate School and of your respective programs for additional information.
Again, welcome and we look forward to meeting each one of you soon!
Important Dates & Announcements
- Thursday, August 15th: The UNC Graduate School will be hosting a Graduate Student Orientation at the Carolina Club in the George Watts Hill Alumni Center. This will be a half-day event for all new graduate students and will provide helpful campus and community information. Registration information will be posted soon on the Graduate School website. Depending on your respective programs within the Psychology Department, you may or may not be required to attend this event.
- Monday, August 19th: The UNC Psychology Department will be hosting its own Psychology Graduate Student Orientation. This event is mandatory for all incoming Psychology students. You may also be required to attend other new student events specific to your programs that day.
- Tuesday, August 20th: First day of classes for the Fall 2013 semester.
- Friday, August 30th: First stipend payment via direct deposit (half-month payment).
Reminders & To-Do
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS: If you have not already done so, be sure to request that official transcripts from ALL universities you have attended be sent to the Graduate School as soon as possible. We are unable to register you for your Fall semester courses until your transcripts have been received. To determine if the Graduate School has received and processed your official transcripts, please check your ConnectCarolina student account. You should not have any “departmental holds” on your registration. The address to which your transcripts should be sent is:
The Graduate School
Campus Box #4010, 200 Bynum Hall
The University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-4010
- I-9 APPOINTMENTS: UNLESS you are being funded by a training grant for your first year in the Department, be sure to schedule an “I-9 Meeting” with Student Services (Davie 203) using the Google-Doc Excel spreadsheet you were emailed in the last couple of weeks. If you did not receive an invitation to this document, or are having trouble accessing the document, please see Student Services in Davie 203 or call 919-962-7149.
- STUDENT ACCOUNT TO-DO: For other items that you need to complete, please see the “To Do List” on your ConnectCarolina student account. Among others, these might include:
- Immunization and Health History Form
- Direct Loan Entrance Counseling (if you have applied for Direct Federal Loans)
- Other “Financial Aid Items”
- COURSE REGISTRATION: At the direction of your respective Program Directors, we will register you in your required Fall 2013 courses. You can access your Fall 2013 course schedule in your Student Center in ConnectCarolina. Following consultation with your Program Director and/or Advisor, you may contact me for assistance regarding additional course enrollments for Fall 2013. Starting with the Spring 2014 semester, you will handle your course enrollment on your own.
- OTHER TO-DO: Please visit the Graduate School’s “Admitted Students” webpage (http://gradschool.unc.edu/admissions/admittedstudents.html) for a list of other things you should be doing now, before you arrive on campus, and after you arrive on campus. Many of you already have a solid head-start on this list.
New Student Paperwork
Each of you should have already received an email requesting that you complete several new student forms that will help finalize your status as students and employees of the University and of the Psychology Department. Depending on your student funding source, you were asked to fill out 2-6 of these forms. Below you will find links to each form, as well several Word documents containing instructions for completing them.
NOTE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Since many of you may not yet have the necessary information to complete these forms (e.g., Social Security number, NC phone number and/or address), please fill them out to the best of your ability now and hold onto them (i.e., do NOT mail) until we can meet in person. Please be sure to schedule a meeting with us to complete these forms as soon as you arrive in town, or you can bring them to your I-9 appointment if you were asked to schedule one.
New Student Forms:
Information Regarding North Carolina Residency
You will be receiving detailed information about obtaining NC residency during the Psychology Department’s Psychology Graduate Student Orientation on Monday, August 19th. However, it might be beneficial to take a look at the following two links for background information prior to your arrival in Chapel Hill:
If you indicated that you are a North Carolina resident on your initial application, please check the Graduate School admission letter you received for an NC residency indicator. If you do not see such an indicator in your admission letter, please follow-up with Student Services (Davie 203 or 919-962-7149) when you arrive in Chapel Hill.
Below is a list of important websites that you may want to bookmark. I suggest that you review the information available on these websites, as they provide answers to many frequently asked questions.
- Psychology Graduate Programs
- The Graduate School
- The Graduate School Handbook
- Office of the University Registrar
- Student Accounts and University Receivables
Important Departmental Contacts
- Director of Graduate Studies: Dr. Mark Hollins, firstname.lastname@example.org, Davie 102
- Program Coordinators:
- Student Services Assistants: Christopher Coffey, email@example.com, and Patrick Kirby, firstname.lastname@example.org, Davie 203
- Department Manager: Terri Gault, email@example.com, Davie 206
- Chair’s Executive Assistant: Laura DePersia, firstname.lastname@example.org, Davie 201