Make a Gift
State budget cuts hinder our ability to teach and mentor students, support faculty and student research, and reward excellence in teaching and research. To meet those challenges, and to provide students with a broad exposure to contemporary psychological research, we depend upon the contributions and commitment of alumni and friends of the department. Thanks to the generosity of many of our alums and friends over the years, the Department has been able to enhance graduate and undergraduate study and further our faculty recruitment and retention efforts. We have been able to attract new faculty whose research shows the great innovations and advancements being made across our field, but we need your support to continue these efforts.
I hope you’ll share in my optimistic vision for the future of the Department. Please consider helping the Department capitalize on our many strengths by making a tax-deductible contribution. I would like to offer special thanks to our alumni and friends. Your generous support and contributions have enabled many opportunities for the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience.
– Donald T. Lysle, Ph.D., Kenan Distinguished Professor and Chair
- General Psychology and Neuroscience Unrestricted Fund
- A gift to our general fund allows the Department the flexibility to use your generosity in the way it is most needed at any given time. This is particularly critical to meeting emerging demands and opportunities.
- Clinical Psychology Excellence Fund
- W. Grant Dahlstrom Graduate Student Fellowship
- Honoring the 40-year career of Kenan Distinguished Professor, Dr. W. Grant Dahlstrom, this fellowship annually provides financial support for an incoming Clinical Psychology graduate student. The fellowship is intended to support the research and academic accomplishments of promising doctoral students, and has the added benefit of attracting outstanding applicants to our program.
- David and Maeda Galinsky Graduate Student Fellowship
- This fellowship is offered annually to a highly-qualified incoming graduate student of the Clinical Psychology program and honors the late Dr. David Galinsky, a professor in the Department for more than 40 years who served as Chair from 1983 – 1993 and Director of the Clinical Psychology program. The fellowship also honors Dr. Maeda Galinksky, a Kenan Distinguished Professor in the UNC School of Social Work.
- Richard A. King Graduate Student Excellence Fund in Behavioral Neuroscience
- Murray Turner ’76 created the Richard A. King Graduate Student Excellence Fund in 2008 to honor Dr. Richard King, a professor in the Department for nearly 50 years. This fund provides travel and research stipends for graduate students in the Behavioral Neuroscience program.
- Harriett L. Rheingold Graduate Student Fellowship
- This merit-based fellowship provides support for graduate students in the Developmental Psychology program and honors the legacy of Dr. Harriet L. Rheingold, a professor in the Department for nearly 30 years and a pioneering scholar in the field of developmental psychology.
- John Thibaut Graduate Student Fund in Social Psychology
- This fund is awarded annually to Social Psychology graduate students and is named in honor of influential social psychologist and former professor in the department, Dr. John Thibaut.
To make an gift, using a credit card, to the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience to one of the above funds and/or fellowships, visit The Arts and Sciences Foundation Online Giving.
You may also make a donation by check. Please make your check payable to “Arts and Science Foundation, Inc.” with “Department of Psychology and Neuroscience – 319100″ in the memo line and mail to:
The Arts and Sciences Foundation
Attn: Kiley Moorefield
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
134 E. Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-6115
For questions about creating scholarships and professorships, making stock or estate gifts, donation to specific programs, or suggestions on how you can help support the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, please contact:
Associate Director of Development
UNC Arts and Science Foundation
Your gift is greatly appreciated and will help foster the excellent student training, research, and mentorship that we have provided UNC students since 1921!