Our Departmental Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony will be held Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 3:30 pm in Carmichael Arena. Below are important announcements or answers to general inquiries. Please contact us at (919) 843-5467 or via email with additional questions.
- You do not need to register for Commencement. If you are eligible to graduate December 2019, May 2020, or August 2020, you are welcome to attend. Please note that graduate names are printed in this year’s program. If you are a December 2019 or August 2020 graduate, please contact us by April 6, 2020 to ensure your name will be printed.
- The ceremony is open to the public and no tickets are needed.
- Formal invitations are mailed in late March to your permanent mailing address. If you did not receive an invitation, you are still welcome to attend. If you would like a copy of the invitation, please contact (919) 843-5467.
- Graduates should arrive by 3:00 pm to line-up for the processional. Late arrivals will be seated in the back.
- There is ample handicapped/accessible seating in Carmichael Arena, but we strongly recommend that your guests, especially those who may need extra time, arrive as early as possible before our ceremony begins at 3:30 pm.
- You will not receive your diploma during Commencement. Diplomas are mailed upon completion of degree requirements at a later date.
- Parking is limited. If you attend the main ceremony in the morning, we recommend you do not attempt to re-park. Carmichael Arena is a 3 minute walk from Kenan Stadium.
- If you require any disability accommodations, we ask that you contact (919) 843-5467 at least two weeks in advance so the appropriate arrangements can be made. We will make our best faith efforts to accommodate requests submitted after this time.
- For general public parking and disability parking:
- General Public Parking:
- Several parking decks are available to the general public and are first-come, first served. Please review the Commencement Parking Map for public parking options. Questions about public parking can be directed to UNC Transportation and Parking at (919) 962-3951.
- Public parking is also available off-campus at the Friday Center (100 Friday Center Drive) with shuttle service. Shuttles operate from the Friday Center Park and Ride Lot from 6:45 am – 9:30 am. They will return from Kenan Stadium to the parking lots immediately following the end of the main ceremony and run continuously for 45 minutes. From 12:30 to 5:00 pm, shuttles will loop campus continuously, making stops at the Student Union, the Old Well, and the Dean E. Smith Center, and returning to Friday Center and other public parking lots with shuttle services. More information about the University shuttle is available online.
- Disability Parking:
- Guests or students with a disability permit or plate are welcome to park in the metered parking spots along South Road. Additional parking for the disabled is available in the School of Government Deck off of South Road.
- Faculty and Staff Parking:
- For faculty and other employees participating in the ceremony, Cobb Deck and the Bell Tower Deck are available for parking with your UNC OneCard. These Decks open at 12 pm for general public parking and are first-come, first served.
- More information about parking can be found online at Transportation and Parking and via a map of parking deck locations.
- General Public Parking:
The University Commencement Ceremony will be held Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 9:00 am in Kenan Stadium. For more information, visit the University Commencement website or call University Events at (919) 962-2821.
Doctoral Hooding Ceremony
The Doctoral Hooding Ceremony will be held Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 9:00 am in the Dean E. Smith Center. For more information, visit the Graduate School website or contact the Graduate School at (919) 966-2611.